Grade 3-6 Week 8: Division with Remainders: Dividing by 6
Division with remainders has to be the most complex type of basic number fact we want students to learn. To tackle a question such as 31 ÷ 4, the student has to:
- recall the sequence of multiples of 4 (4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28)
- figure out the largest multiple less than 31 (28)
- remember which multiple that is (7)
- subtract the multiple from 31 (3)
- state or write the answer (4 remainder 3)
No wonder teaching this skill seems like hard work! It will take time and diligent practice on the part of students. But the effort will be worth it!
Download the free worksheet now!